So Scott B.....
THIS IS TRUDEAU'S TERMINATION PLANS OF THE INDIANS. ANY CHIEFS WHO SIGN THIS AGREEMENT SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM POWERS IMMEDIATELY AND CALL FOR A RE-ELECTION BASED ON "NO CONFIDENCE" !!!!
1. Extinguishment: You must consent to the extinguishment of your Aboriginal title. The lawyers and negotiators call this the “modification” of rights or “non-assertion.” These are legal weasel words: none of the legal protection for Aboriginal title lands will apply on modern treaty lands.
2. Private Property: You must consent to the elimination of Indian Reserves by accepting all settlement lands as fee simple (private property). Fee simple lands can be bought, sold, and lost to outsiders. Unlike Indian Reserves, fee
simple lands are not governed under federal jurisdiction or under the Indian Act. But this does not make them sovereign Indian land. Rather, fee simple lands fall under provincial jurisdiction and must be governed to comply with provincial land regulation, as well as applicable federal regulation. This is the scenario critics call the transformation of reserves into “ethnic municipalities.”
3. Land Selection, aka Surrender: The government has a cash/land formula that is not public, but can be determined by averaging out every Agreement in Principle and Final Agreement that has been signed, roughly $25,600 per person and 9 hectares (23 acres) per person. In the British Columbia Treaty Process, for example, negotiating groups cede an average of 95 percent of their traditional lands.
4. Third Party Interests: You must respect existing Private Lands/Third Party interests, This means you must consent to the alienation of Aboriginal Title territory and give up all right to compensation for past infringements.
5. Incorporation: Your band becomes the legal entity of a corporation, with powers and privileges defined in the Final Agreement. You are no longer a First Nation, but a business entity under the law.
(What negotiators do not make clear from the start is that the policy involves a number of absolutely non-negotiable federal core mandates, which are essential for community members to know.)
6. Taxation: You must give up on-reserve tax exemptions and begin paying income taxes within an established period following approval of the Final Agreement. When you have to start charging tax on sales, and also paying taxes for your employees, it will entirely or largely remove your competitive
7. Governance: You will have no jurisdiction in the following matters: powers related to Canadian sovereignty, defence, and external relations; management and regulation of the national economy; maintenance of national law and order
and substantive criminal law; protection of the health and safety of Canadians; federal undertakings and other powers. In other words, you will have no control over economic trade, no say in federal undertakings like highways or hydro dams that take place on your territory, and no autonomy in negotiations with other nation states. Your law making authority, which negotiators will exaggerate, will be subject to federal or provincial / laws and oversight in the event of jurisdictional conflict. Any decision you want to make that overlaps with provincial jurisdiction will require participation and agreement by the province.
8. The Inherent Right policy: You will assimilate your governance system into the framework of the Canadian Constitution and be expected to “harmonize” your laws in a manner “which is indispensable to the proper functioning of the federation.” In contrast to having sovereign authority or jurisdiction over your lands, based on exercising Indigenous law, you will be expected to join federation, just like other Canadians, with no specific Indigenous rights.
9. Funding Framework: You will eventually lose federal support for programs and services as the province / territory takes over responsibilities for programs offered to all
Canadians and you are expected to make up for budget shortfalls through local, own-source-revenues. You will have moderate taxation powers over local matters, such as property tax of your members on your treaty entitlement lands, but these are also concurrent with provincial / territorial
Kokum to 7 young warriors and one little ? keeper.
Aboriginal Lifeskills Facillitor